Monday, November 17, 2008

Can't Say No

I just bought the last major piece of my audio kit, hopefully paving the way for my new career as a field audio mixer for television and film (mostly television, documentaries etc. Film is a whole different set of gear and demands).

Ultimately, this was a good deal. It's a quality recorder, has all the functions that I need, and I picked it up used at a third of the price it or a like recorder would go for.

And yet, a few mere hours since placing the order, I'm a wreck.

I realized a while ago that my problem with making decisions and buying things specifically is that I never view it as selecting one thing, but rather turning down a bunch of other stuff. I didn't decide to buy a mixer, I instead decided not to get any of the following-

- A less functional recorder and a still camera.
- Same less functional recorder and a used 3 CCD miniDV camcorder
- A cheap motorcycle
- A barrier mic
- A better shotgun mic
- Any of the other half dozen recorders I was looking at
- Replace the cool box in my bus
- Side tent for my bus
- PS3 or Wii

I could go on...

There are reasons that I made the decision that I did, and even better reasons that I didn't make any of the purchases I didn't make. But that doesn't mean that once I make a decision I don't feel like I shut down all the other options. I'm honestly more comfortable sitting here thinking of all the things I could do.

This might be from being poor-most of the time any amount of money I spend is in my fantasy world. It's hard for me to make the transition to all those fantasies to one reality is a hard one for me to handle.

This is probably the most telling aspect of my personality. I'm far more enamored with what could be than actually is.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, opportunity costs--I'm right there with ya. As an insider on this particular agonizing decision, I think you went the right way on it--good luck with the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately since I went with the all singing all dancing recorder, I have to wait on the still camera that would make my new project a reality (or the 3 CCD camcorder). But having made such a big investment, I hope that I'll remain committed to it and use the extra time to make sure I do it right. Also, I realized earlier today that I can start immediately working on a project for someone who in the past has worked tirelessly to make our projects a reality. The chance to pay back even a fraction of what we owe him makes it all kinds of worth it. I hope to be able to talk more about that here soon.

    ReplyDelete